Technology Transfer Sub-Program
TERMS OF REFERENCE
Canada-Ontario Agriculture Green Plan
revised June 1996
Canada's Green Plan lists three objectives vital to achieving sustainable
- to conserve and enhance the natural resources that agriculture
uses and shares.
- to be compatible with other environmental resources that are
affected by agriculture.
- to be proactive in protecting the agri-food sector from the
environmental impacts caused by other sectors and factors, external
Goal of the Technology Transfer
To work, in cooperation with the existing systems for technology
transfer in Ontario, for the benefit of the agriculture and food
industry in Ontario, by ensuring that information related to sustainable
technology for agriculture, generated by Green Plan-funded research
and demonstration projects, and related programs, is effectively
and efficiently transferred to Ontario farmers and to the wider
- Liaise with those who transfer technology to Ontario farmers
- determine the needs of those who transfer technology to
Ontario farmers, with respect to both the type of information
required and the manner in which it will be best transferred,
through workshops, surveys, literature reviews and personal
- inform those involved in transferring technology to Ontario
farmers of the type of information being generated within Green
Plan, through workshops, reports and personal contact.
- identify and develop opportunities, within existing systems
for technology transfer, for the development of partnerships
among governments, agribusinesses, producers and others, to
facilitate the continuing transfer of information to Ontario
- identify barriers to the transfer of technology, within
existing and emerging systems.
- Liaise with Green Plan program leaders to:
- prepare an inventory of the information that will be available
- identify linkages among results from the Green Plan programs
and projects, as well as other related sources of information.
- develop guidelines for the reporting of Green Plan project
results to facilitate their transfer to the target audiences.
- Demonstrate, evaluate and recommend, to the Accord Committee
of Canada Ontario Environmental Sustainability Accord, the most
appropriate processes for ensuring the effective and efficient transfer
of information related to sustainable technology to the Ontario
- evaluate new methods and tools for transferring information.
- assess the suitability of these technologies for meeting
the information needs of Ontario's agricultural sector.
- identify the types of information and the target audience
for which the various communications technologies are best suited.
- document the process and resources required to implement
and maintain technology transfer programs using these communications
The Technology Transfer Committee may use any combination of the
- research and development, through third party contracts, initiated
and overseen by task teams, appointed by the committee, based on
Requests For Proposals approved by the committee.
- facilitation, by providing forums through which stakeholders
can exchange information and develop cooperative programs.
- technical recommendations regarding possible courses of
action for technology transfer.
To include representatives from the following
- Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada
- Ontario Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affair
- Canadian Wildlife Service, Environment Canada
- Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources
- Ontario Farm Environmental Coalition
- Ontario Federation of Agriculture
- Stewardship Information Bureau, University of Guelph
Last Revised: 4 October, 1996 19:52:25